Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sugalite Delight





My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts of clouds, and a little bit of yellow all swirled around making it gorgeous! I spent hours (weeks) wondering what I wanted to do with it.  I love when people give me special stones.

This is the design I came up with, deciding to make the entire piece in sterling silver and adding some red garnets and an amethyst.  Sometimes it's important to draw a design out on paper like this, but other times I like to just jump in and see where the process takes me.



I changed my mind along the way (this happens a LOT) and added more stones to the "chain" part of the necklace and filed a texture all around the edge of the bezel.  Below you see the stones just delicately balanced on a piece of square wire to see how they'll look.  A piece of dental floss keeps the large stone from getting stuck in the bezel because I'm not yet ready for it to be set quite yet - there is still more soldering to do.



Here the bezels are all soldered, the chain is attached, all jump rings are soldered shut and NOW it's time to set the stones.  For all the beginners out there, it's very important to remember that ALL soldering must be done before setting the stones.



...one at a time...



And finally the finished product.  The good news - I like the design and how well it turned out.  The bad news is I didn't count on the square wire, which holds the small stones, to turn slightly outwards.  Definitely something to think about the next time I want to do a similar type of design.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sugalite Delight

My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts...