Thursday, August 02, 2007

Hallo von Deutchland!



What a gorgeous place I've come upon here in Germany. We're at a hotel called the Sofitel Tegernsee which is not too far from Munich in an area called Bavaria, and I feel like I've been transported back in time. The women here still wear the traditional clothing (not all of them - mainly on special occasions) -- and often one can see men wearing the shorts and suspenders, as well. Just picture "The Sound of Music" and you'll know what I'm talking about. Most of the buildings have flower boxes hanging from the balconies, overflowing with flowers.



Stepping out the front of hotel I am greeted with the gorgeous view shown below. It's peaceful and is populated mainly with Germans. I'm wondering if this might be a well kept secret from the rest of the world. Very few people speak English, so that has been a bit of a problem. Today I was trying to order some chocolate ice cream and a coke and the woman thought I wanted her to put the coke on top of the ice cream. :)


I've never seen a cemetery like this before. It's located on the outside grounds of a church right here in town and each grave has a elaborate headstone, as well as a little space for flowers. Quite lovely.



Last night we had a crazy evening at a Bavarian Bierhaus. The waitress was...well...let's just say a little rude. Everyone was starving and she wouldn't let anyone order a dinner until we were finished with our appetizers. She said, "I'm the boss!" Hmmmm...perhaps a cultural difference? We're all laughing about it now, but no one was laughing at the time. Of course, they had no gluten-free beer...not even any wine. She would say, "NO WINE! THIS IS A BIERHAUS!" Um...okay, sorry. Lemonade will be fine, thanks. :) I didn't dare ask her if anything contained flour. Just had a nibble of this and a nibble of that and hoped for the best.

Here's Amy and I, I hugging our new friend upon returning from that memorable evening.



Tomorrow we're off to Salzburg.

Auf Wiedersehen!

2 comments:

  1. Guten tag! Wow, it is SO pretty there! I forgot you were going to be with Amy, that makes it a lot more fun, doesn't it? Funny about the Bierhaus waitress--I had a waiter do that in a nice restaurant in India once.
    Have fun--take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks like you're having a good time Kathy!

    :)

    ReplyDelete