All Tied Up in Celtic Knots


I am skipping my last Repousse class this evening because I have finished the two projects I started in that class and need a short break from all the pounding. It can be a bit rough on the neck and shoulder if one doesn't sit properly, something I need to work on. I do enjoy it, though, and find it somewhat meditative. Time flies by quickly as I sit in front of my bowl of red pitch, tapping away until the desired height and shape is achieved. Above is the celtic knot design, the first thing I made in class. Below is the bracelet, project #2.



I have learned a lot from doing this cuff bracelet. I discovered that by using 20 gauge silver, one is virtually guaranteed of never pounding hard enough to cut through the metal, but it does require a heavy hand to make the impressions. I realized too late that the tool I was using to line everything was too thick. Next time I'll know better.

When it was completely done, I formed it into a bracelet on a bracelet mandrel. Then I polished it up and it's now on my arm as I type! :) Next time I'll try doing another cuff bracelet with more variations of height in the design.

Comments

  1. Totally gorgeous, Mom! I love them both! They're very impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I'm so glad you think so. I've been staring and pounding on these two pieces for so long now, I don't feel I'm even capable of being able to tell how they look to an outsider's eye. So, thanks, Jess! You know your opinion always means a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy

    They look gorgeous, very touchy-feely! Your jewelry is stunning! If I saw it in a shop, I'd certaily buy it, to add to my collection of precious jems in silver

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your work is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muchas Gracious Diane & Jewell! Hey Jewell -- I loved Eva Luna, too! Didn't the author write House of the Spirits, too? I also loved that one!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, checked for Valentin on Blogspot and found your stuff. Very nice. I took a couple classes with him and am dying to go back--would especially like to go to Florence with him and Sharon. Keep up the good work.

    Merry Christmas

    C

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts