cookieChoices = {};

Monday, May 21, 2007

The Matrix Opal

Here is my recently finished earthy-looking pendant and chain I had started ohhhhh soooo very long ago. The lower stone was purchased when I first began metalsmithing and now I can't remember what it's called, but I think it's a form of jasper. I made the bezel (which is textured, but you can't see it in this photo), and then put the whole thing aside for a couple of years. Recently I purchased the upper stone, which is called a Matrix Opal (from Mexico), and did not realize what a perfect match it was with the bottom stone until I brought it home and placed it in my collection of stones. I wish you could see the iridescent quality of the Mexical Opal - it looks like an alien eyeball.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but if you have an interest in making handmade chains, I highly recommend Jean Stark's book called "Classical Loop in Loop Chains." You would definitely have to know some basic metalsmithing skills...like how to use a torch, how to fuse silver, etc, before you begin.

I have to miss my last two classes with Julia Woodman because of a trip back home (need to visit the folks), and I will truly miss her and my friends in the class. I believe it is helpful to be among one's peers...people who enjoy doing the same things you enjoy...to help spur one's creative juices in whatever area one is interested in. Sometimes taking a few months off can be good, as well. Either way, it's all good.

4 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

That's a nice looking piece.
My wife and I took a metal jewelry-working class at a local college this year... it was fun, but we aren't quite "experts" like you yet :)

Kathy said...

All it takes is a time and a lot of patience. I agree with you on the fun factor. My first teacher said she fell in love with jewelry making when she realized it was art she could actually wear. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Dianne said...

Beautifull piece Kathy. I've got a pendant with a stone a bit like that and it is jasper. Mine is just two colours though!

:)

Kathy said...

Thanks for the clarification, Dianne. I'm really bad at taking stones out of their little plastic bags which lists what type of stone it is.

:)