Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A New York Gluten Free Minute


First, I just want to thank the "celiac chicks" who have helped me find all the wonderful gluten-free restaurants in New York that I look forward to visiting when I'm there. This past weekend I was fortunate to actually find and try some gluten free potstickers!!! It was the first time in over eleven years I was able to order them in a restaurant. Lilli and Loo's (on Lexington) have a gluten-free menu with a wide assortment of choices. I drank Thai Iced Tea, gobbled up the potstickers and a finished with a crispy fried shrimp dish. Quite good and really a treat.

On a sunny and warm Sunday afternoon we headed to the Broadway show "Wicked." I wish I had pictures to show you, but they don't allow picture-taking in the Gershwin Theater (a good idea because you wouldn't want to miss a moment of the action on stage while messing with your camera.) What an amazing show. I was mesmerized from the opening number until the standing ovation. This is a picture of the stage right before the magic began:


Here's my favorite daughter, Jess, with her adorable boyfriend, Vitaley, in Bobby Flay's restaurant "Bar Americain," where we dined after the show (my favorite son was home watching the pups). I loved being in New York and I loved being with Jess & Vitaley for 3 whole days. I love so much about New York that I had to ask my husband if he was getting irritated at me constantly saying, "You know what else I love about New York?" He kindly replied that I wasn't irritating him at all. Hmm...I don't know about that...


The big letdown was on Monday when we all decided to meet at "Risotteria," the Italian GF restaurant I always try to visit when I'm there. This time I was going to try their GF panini. But we arrived to find it was closed for the day. Yep, a bit of a bummer, but we found another nice place nearby and then spent the afternoon doing a little shopping. How can you go to New York and not spend some time shopping? I splurged on a really-cool-sweater-wrap-kind-of-thing so am looking forward to fall so I can start wearing it everywhere. It's one of those pieces of clothing you can throw over your jeans & t-shirt and look like you are dressed far better than you really are. I need more of these. Lots more.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! New York is chock full of gluten free eats -- I just love visiting there :) Sounds like you had an awesome weekend. My sister & I saw Wicked in NYC (amazing!) and ate (gorged!) at Risotteria. Your post has me longing for a New York weekend SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just saw this post! Glad you enjoyed your trip here so much--we did too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you're in New York, you should try S'MAC for GF mac and cheese and Peter's Gourmet Diner for GF pancakes, sandwiches, soups,... they even have a roasted turkey with gluten free stuffing on the menu!

    ReplyDelete

Sugalite Delight

My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts...