Saturday, October 04, 2008

Ball of Confusion


This past weekend I took a class on Granulation. Getting those tiny, little spheres to fuse to the silver without melting is not an easy task. There's no random torching here! What you see below is an experiment. The spheres did adhere, but I somehow over-cooked the silver so it now has a mottled appearance. I need to find out what I'm doing wrong here because it happened on both pieces. In November I'll be taking another workshop with the lovely Jean Stark, and will have to be proficient at this by then because I'll be using gold ($835 an ounce today). Overheating will not be an option. But I've been told that if you can fuse silver, gold will be easy. I'm counting on this to be true. :) 



2 comments:

  1. your first try at granulating silver is very good. If you keep practicing on silver gold will be much easier. There is a longer time laps between the start of the fusing and the melting. Go slow don't rush it. It's almost like meditating. take deep breath and don't panick.

    good luck

    Potel-Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your advice! I'll keep working on it! : )

    ReplyDelete

Sugalite Delight

My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts...