cookieChoices = {};

Monday, April 13, 2009

Reticulated, Anticlastic Formed Silver Cuff Bracelet with Blue Topaz Gemstones



Reticulating silver is still an ongoing adventure over here, so I'm showing you one of the cuff bracelets I recently fabricated. This is a variation of the cuff bracelet highlighted on the cover of Art Jewelry Magazine in January of 2008. I made a couple of alterations, which I'll explain.

First, when Julia, my talented teacher (and designer, master metalsmith), saw me trying to solder 10 gauge round wire all around the edges of this bracelet, she told me that half-round wire would be far easier. She was 100% correct (of course)! It was still difficult to solder, but because there were two flat surfaces touching each other, I was able to finish the soldering in probably half the time it would have taken me had I continued to struggle along with the round silver wire.

Second, not wanting my bracelet to be a carbon copy of the one in Art Jewelry Magazine, I added the two blue Topaz gemstones to the inner edges of the cuff.



More to come...

1 comment:

Aizi said...

hi Kathy,
just now disccovered your blog because i was looking for some information about reticulating silver!
what can i say but wowwowwow...
i only started studying metalsmithing last year, and can use all the info i can get!
your work is totally inspiring, thank you!
Aiko