Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bewitched by Pitch

Gia has been teaching at Spruill, so I have been able to continue learning Repousse/Chasing, which I am truly loving. It has taken me a few starts and stops to get to this point. My first exposure to Repousse/Chasing was in a four-day workshop with Valentin Yotkov a few years ago (brought here by the Georgia Goldsmith's Group). I thoroughly enjoyed learning this new technique, but the class lasted only four days, and I wasn't quite sure what to do on my own after it ended. A couple of years later Victoria Lansford taught a class and I learned a few new techniques I had not learned from Valentin. But not until I started working with Gia did it all begin to come together. Gia is a true master and makes it all look easy, which, of course, it is not. Here he is showing us one of his own "works in progress."


I recently began an experimental design on copper for a cuff bracelet. I then transferred the same design (with a few modifications) onto sterling silver and am working on it presently. Doing a model in copper beforehand is extremely helpful. The mistakes are made in the copper, not in the silver. The one error I made on this copper piece was taking the design too far to the ends of the cuff, which I have corrected in the silver piece.


We often begin our designs on a "hard or medium" ROMA Plastilina before placing the metal in the pitch, but if there is not a lot of height desired on the design, using only pitch is completely acceptable. Here's is Gia's example of a project he's been teaching the beginning students, this one done totally on red pitch.





This is the design the entire class is working on.   Here we have Gia's example:


This is my final design, which I sawed out of the copper when finished. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi BEAUTIFUL WORK!
    Did you use the roma clay in medium, medium firm or hard for the cuff detail.
    What tools do you use for it?
    Thank you!
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bellaluna,

    Thank you! I did not use roma clay with the cuff detail - I used red or black pitch. I have an assortment of chasing and repousse tools, some purchased from Valentin Yotkov, some from Gia, some from Victoria Lansford and some I made my own!

    Good luck if you give it a try!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Sugalite Delight

My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts...