Thursday, September 14, 2006

Eastern Repousse

Yea! A new class! I've been waiting to take Victoria's Eastern Repousse class for a good long while now. She only offers it every couple of years, so Monday night when we all gathered for our first lesson, everyone was quite excited to be there.

I took a 4 day session in Chasing & Repousse last fall with Valentin Yotkov. His studio is in Brooklyn, New York, but occasionally will travel to give workshops. This photo is what I was able to accomplish in that class. It was the design given to all of us who had never attempted repousse before.



It's very rough, but gives you an idea of what chasing and repousse is. Basically, a piece of metal (usually silver or copper)is placed in what is called a pitch bowl (filled with pitch) and then a design is pounded out in the metal using forming tools and a hammer. Work is done on both sides of the metal. I remember it causing a bit of neck strain, so I'll be sure to sit properly this time around.

I'm hoping to make a cuff bracelet with some kind of design on it, but that might be a bit much for a beginner. Perhaps something smaller to start would be a better plan!

:)

3 comments:

  1. I bet you can manage a beautiful bracelet -- look at all the other wonderful talents you've mastered! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a cuff bracelet would be pretty! I'm glad you're so excited about your class!
    See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Dianne

    Hi Kathy

    Looks interesting ... just the sort of thing required to fire up your enthusiasm again! How is the scrollwork using gems going?

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete

Sugalite Delight

My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts...