Saturday, January 19, 2008

Red Velvet, If You Please



Hammers pounding, drills buzzing, and torches ablaze with fire! That's how I'd describe my studio these past few weeks. Winter is bringing on a productive mode of being. The above pendant is a design from my favorite Japanese design book . These designs are so pretty I could probably make jewelry from this book for a very long time and never tire of them. I etched this particular design onto a plate of brass and then transferred it to sterling silver via the rolling mill. I lightly domed it and then soldered it onto a flat back piece before adding patina and polish.



Thinking it was about time to add some earrings to my collection, I came up with the design above. It's a cross between something I saw in a sundance catalog and a book on ancient jewelry. After cutting out the basic shapes, I added a bit of texture by chasing some designs along the bottom edge before adding the ear wires. I want to make them again, but this time edge each piece entirely in in sterling silver wire which will form the loops on each side, to which the ear wire can be attached. If successful, I'll post them here.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, busy you! Lovely pieces, and nice photos too, I like the background. I'm jealous of your time to devote to crafting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful earrings and pendant! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous metalwork. By the way, What is the name of the Japanese design book that you love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jess!

    Natasha - the book is called Japanese Design Motifs and I bought it at Barnes and Noble a few years ago. I'm sure you can find it easily. Thanks for stopping by!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book name Kathy. I love looking through clip art books with different design patterns. I'll have to check out Japanese Design Motifs - it sounds really neat.
    Best,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane! Thanks for stopping by.

    : )

    ReplyDelete

Sugalite Delight

My son gave me this unusual looking Sugalite stone for my birthday.  Lucky me! It's really lovely close up - it has small bursts...